Monday, March 1, 2010

Thailand: Day 4 "The Best Day EVER"

From Bangkok we flew to Chiang Mai
We got there completely exhausted and ready for sleep,
in this beautiful room at The Royal Princess


photo found here

Kritsana's sister met us in Chaing Mai. They hadn't seen
each other for 5 years. It was such a sweet reunion.
They spent hours just catching up.

When we saw the streets lined with stalls of anything you could
think of, (Seriously, as far as the eye could see)
We knew it would be quite a while before we hit our pillows.

And it was pure bliss.
Except for the part where the women in the weird hats would
follow us around with the wooden frogs that croaked, that part was awful.

After hours spent bargaining and finding so many treasures,
We returned and got some much needed sleep.
We had a very big day ahead of us.

{Day 4}

This is were the day my biggest dream came true.
As long as I can remember I have wanted to ride an elephant
and watch it play soccer in Thailand.
Well, It came true!

Did you know that elephants were artists?




I love this picture. It really wasn't too often that you would see things in English...


















L





Unfortunately Shay and I do not have a picture like this one...I thought I had film in my camera (yes I really just said film, I thought it would be a cool experience but it was such a hassle)...but I didn't. So just pretend. (Aren't they so cute?)



Riding an elephant was not quite what I imagined. I could seriously not control my giggling. My favorite part was going through the river. It was such an incredible experience.



Don't these kids just melt your heart?



There were about 9 waterfalls at this place. It was really incredible. There were people having naps and picnics everywhere. It was so ideal for a little break from the day.





Our dear tour guide Duck (his wife, Judy, was in Kritsana's ward growing up) told us about a
place we could go bungee jumping...fortunately (or unfortunately depending on
how you look at it)...we had just heard of a bungee jumping death and decided we would try
something a littler safer like a zip-line.



I should probably admit that I was terrified. There was a second when I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it. The guide was not very sympathetic of my fear. After a couple of times I was great and it was one of the coolest things I have ever done.



The "Adam and Eve" zip-line.





These were our guides. They would always refer to themselves as "Monkeys."




We drove straight from the zip-line to a place that had traditional dinner and dancing.
(Think the PCC of Thailand). We didn't have time to freshen up. We smelled like elephants.
The food was divine. Although the dancing was amazing we had such a hard time staying awake! What a day!




Duck, Kritsana and her sister P. Ann














This really was the best day Ever!


4 comments:

  1. The only thing I don't like about this post is how much it makes me miss Thailand... That really was the best day ever! Looking at that picture of us sitting on the elephants, it's hard to believe they were actually real! Truly Unforgettable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bloggy looks great. I still can't believe you rode an elephant... and a zipline. You are such a butt-kicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you took the chance of a life-time to travel to Thailand. Thanks for sharing your amazing experience and photos - it's almost as good as being there!

    ReplyDelete