Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thailand: Day 5

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is the holiest shrine in northern Thailand. It was founded in 1386 under miraculous circumstances. Unable to decide on the site to place a magical relic, the King placed it in a portable shrine on the back of a white elephant and waited to see where the animal would take it. Eventually, the elephant walked up to the top of Doi Suthep mountain, trumpeted three times, turned around tree times, knelt down and died. The temple was immediately built on the miraculously chosen site.

You walk up 140 something stairs (correct me if I'm wrong Shay) that are protected by Naga (snakes)


The view from the top (the picture doesn't even do it justice)



D
















This was by far the best fried rice I've ever had. For the six of us, this meal was around $8. Yes, I wish I was in Thailand everyday.






We went to a Hillside Village. It was incredible. I had never seen anything like it before. It seriously broke my heart to see people actually live like this. You never realize how blessed you are until you see the way many people live.









Don't you just want to squeeze the kid in the green? He is the cutest thing I have ever seen.



When we pulled up to the village this little girl Wi asked if she could be our tour guide.
Wi lives with her Grandmother. She misses her family. Her parents asked her to stay with her Grandmother and take care of her. Wi's family lives far away on a strawberry farm. She doesn't get to see them very often if ever. When she was telling Kritsana and JaNae about her situation she carefully chose her words. As if to show no disrespect to her family. I cannot imagine being so young and being in such a difficult situation.


1 comment: